Core Exercise of the Month, Ball Back Extension
This exercise will help to strengthen the muscles of the lower back.
Start/Finish Position Mid point
|Start/Finish Position||Mid point|
|Primary Muscle||Secondary muscles|
- Lie on your front on a Swiss Ball with your legs over shoulder width apart (placing your feet against a wall may help with balance).
- Have the ball situated at the belly button.
- Lean over the ball and place your hands onto your temples.
- Then contract your back muscles and move your head, shoulders and chest away (upwards) from the ball. Breathe in as you do this.
- Rise until your neck, spine, and upper legs are in alignment.
- Hold for 3 seconds and then lower yourself back onto the ball Breathe out as you do this.
- Then repeat for the correct number of repetitions.
Where to feel the stretch
On the lower part of the back.