Lumber spine stretch
The primary muscles are mostly used throughout the pedalling action to maintain posture on the bike.
|Start/Finish Position||Mid point|
|Primary Muscle||Secondary muscles|
- Lie on your back with your hands at right angles to your body (forming a cross position)
- Bend one knee and bring the leg up until the foot is flat on the floor.
- Then keeping your shoulders flat on the floor slowly rotate the leg over your body. This should result in lifting your hip off the floor and the leg gently moving towards the floor on its opposite side.
- You should start to feel the stretch on the lower and mid parts of your back.
- Only move the leg as far as it will go without force. Rest at this point
- On your breath out allow the leg to drop another inch.
- Once the stretch is complete slowly return to the start position.
- Repeat on the other leg.
Where to feel the stretch
On the lower and mid parts of your back.
1. When you feel the stretch easing in the muscle move the leg further towards the floor until the tension returns, hold here and repeat.